Monday 23 July 2012

Voodoo bondage women?

'I've just finished a novella that makes a lot of reference to voodoo - or, since it's based around specific beliefs about the supernatural, it might be better to say vodou. And it has a lot of bondage and bdsm in it.

So I was looking at stock websites for a potential cover image, and instead I came across theendofbeing.com, which bills itself as an 'esoteric guide to difficult and unusual art, music, film, people and ideas'. Yeah, that's my kind of thing.

And the reason I found this is because one of the difficult and unusual things it lists is Tortura 1&2 - a two-volume collection of LPs, which it describes in the following terms:


'This is a unique set of LPs from 1965 put out by Bondage Records. Nothing more than the sounds of whipping and moaning, crying, laughing and shrieking. No music, no story. Just the simple sounds of your happy go lucky, everyday BDSM scenester.'

I had no idea these things even existed. But if you go to the blog entry on Tortura, you can listen to all the tracks.

Another little gem on the site, incidentally: if you've never come across Anais Nin you should have done, because she's one of the major figures in the development of women-centred erotica (among her other achievements). And there's a video of her taken, I guess, sometime in the 1960s talking about destructive and constructive uses of anger. Since I last looked, a couple of years ago, bits of Nin on video seem to have emerged on Youtube but this was something I hadn't come across before.


No comments:

Post a Comment